The College Media Advisers selected eight items from the Technician, N.C. State’s student newspaper for inclusion in the 13th edition of The Best of Collegiate Design.
- Patrick Clarke, headline presentation, second place
- Thushan Amarasiriwardena, editorial illustration, first place
- Thushan Amarasiriwardena and Taylor Templeton, feature page, fourth place
- Thushan Amarasiriwardena, editorial/opinion page, first place
- Thushan Amarasiriwardena, editorial/opinion page, fifth place
- Patrick Clarke, sports page, fifth place
- Staff, nameplate, honorable mention
- Patrick Clarke and Jake Seaton, special section cover, third place
Thushan Amarasiriwardena served as Technician co-editor during the 2003-2004 academic year and now is a content producer for Boston.com/The Boston Globe. Patrick Clarke is now the managing editor of the Technician. Only one other North Carolina college or universities was featured in the book, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, The University Times, which won one award for advertising.
This page from the Technician, designed by Thushan Amarasiriwardena, received a first place rating for editorial/opinion page. The judges said, “Simple and bold. The colorful illustration sets the tone for this page. An excellent main headline and the parallel presentation of four “op-ed” views on the same topic are other ingredients that make this page a winner.”