The staff of the 2007 Agromeck yearbook received 11 national Gold Circle Awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
According to CSPA, “Gold Circle Awards are offered to recognize superior work by student journalists usually as individuals but sometimes as an entire staff working with either print or online media.”
According to CSPA, about 1,496 awards, representing 12.5 percent of the 11,959 entrants, were given in 75 categories. The awards were announced and presented at the Association’s annual convention in March in New York City.
“Columbia is proud to give these awards to these energetic and talented student journalists,” Edmund J. Sullivan, CSPA director, said. “We congratulate them on their enterprising work.”
The only other North Carolina university to win any Gold Circle Awards was Elon University.
- First Place for Index: Mark Fenimore & Brandon Wright
- First Place for Caption Writing: Matt O’ Bryant, Austin Dowd & Chris Sanchez, “Take Back the Night”
- Second Place for Caption Writing: Brandon Wright, “Hook, Line & Sinker”
- Second Place for Opening/Closing: Mark Fenimore & Brandon Wright
- Second Place for Student Life: Mark Fenimore, Josh Hines & Austin Dowd, “Krispy Kreme”
- Second Place for Informational Graphic: Mark Fenimore, “Behind the Dance”
- Second Place for Sports Feature Writing: John Cooper Elias, “Deraney”
- Third Place in Sidebar or Mini-mag Writing: Mark Fenimore, “Sushi”
- Certificate of Merit for People Spread: Mark Fenimore & Mary Beth Hamrick, “Laundry”
- Certificate of Merit for Sports Action Photo: Danny Boemermann, “No Losers”
- Certificate of Merit in Headline Writing: Mary Beth Hamrick
Brandon Wright was the editor of the 2007 edition of the Agromeck. Mark Fenimore was the design editor.